Parties & Social Events
Every night of the convention, Westercon 72, NASFiC 2019, 1632 Minicon & Manticon 2019 (Spikecon), opens hotel rooms into nightly social gatherings for all attendees. Groups and conventions are invited to mutate an ordinary room into their own worlds of snacks, friends, drinks, aliens, convention swag, games, enthusiasts, movies and fun. If you are wanting to hold a room party, or enjoy the experience of one, this page is for you!
Room parties are available to anyone sporting a convention membership badge, depending on the gathering type. Each hotel and the Davis Conference Center will have an information kiosk in their lobby with flyers and listings of news and sponsored socials and locations. So join us in the evenings and find out what ribbons, convention bidding, prizes, and plans geeks make after a full day of shenanigans.
Our Party Team will be on site to help with information, and assistance to make attending these gatherings a wonderful experience for everyone.
Here are a few tips and thoughts to make your party visits a pleasant experience!
- Take a peek, say hello, explore it all - Check out the kiosk, door signs, or purple sashed staff to find information and make new friends.
- Hotels have other guests too - Try to keep the noise to the individual rooms, and not in the halls or lobbies that may affect non-convention guests.
- Vote for unique and fun parties - There will be a ballot box by each elevator/floor to comment on which gathering you like and why, awards will be announced at closing ceremonies.
- Keep food and drink in the room - Party hosts are responsible for everything in their room, and paying for you to enjoy. Please respect their time and offerings, and Layton City guidelines by keeping potential allergens or drinks offered in the room - not the hallways or beyond.
- Tips and/or donations are appreciated - it is courteous to keep a stack of dollar bills in your pocket to either tip servers, or donate to the hosts, or the possibility of another party the next night!
- Alcohol, Smoking and other Questions - What is illegal outside our venues is also considered illegal inside the venues, so please respect the local laws. Local Legalities
- The host is the most - Although Spikecon is allowing room gatherings, the individual or group hosting the parties set their rules and guidelines. Be prepared to be ID’d, Badged, Or Questioned when appropriate. Remember to thank them for a great party.
- Help keep Spikecon clean and respectful - If you see some trash, please assist and throw it away. Following simple convention guidelines, respecting the spaces and each other will keep everyone safe and having fun!
Voting for Parties
Attendees are encouraged to vote on the parties they most enjoyed. Ballot boxes will be on the party floors while parties are going on, and will be located in Ops the rest of the time. Awards or prizes will be announced at closing ceremonies. The possible options will be listed on the ballots. Parties not registered do not qualify!
Please Note: Valid ballots will require the members badge number, badge name and registered name. Any appearance of ballot stuffing or pre-filled ballots will result in your party being disqualified from the awards.
Hosting a Gathering